Monday 3 August 2009

30 - Gothic Door


Gabi and I were stuck in traffic this week - we're not used to that anymore...but, it's a great time to slow down and look around...and on the Kings gate (Aberdeen), I spied a really nice sandblasted typeface on a door - I didn't have my camera - and desperately tried to mentally note the Gothic / black letter-esque forms...

So, "Gothic Door" is an approximation, a guesstimate, a pastiche of the typeface I did see, perhaps it's more classical than this "retro futuristic" noodle I ended up with...I'll have to go photograph it for sure.

It kind of reminds me of a favourite 90's font (FF NewBerlin) I used to use a lot...but with a bit more "ostentation" about it? - check that "g" - doesn't that look like a road going no-where?! - perhaps it's all too subliminal... the Kerning is a bit squinky too... I'm going to have to look into the font creator upgrade!

This typeface is now unavailable for download - but will be included in the limited edition CD Rom of all 52 Typefaces at the beginning of 2010. To secure a CD Rom, please email us (Phil & Gabi) at info@g-r-a.co.uk.If you would like to get involved in making a typeface for the project, please email us at : info@g-r-a.co.uk or leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave some wisdom for Gabi and Phil to soak up!